Saturday, December 27, 2014

EATING STREET FOOD IN OLD DELHI

After the walk through the slums I had planned a foodie tour in old Delhi! I couldn't wait for it!
I met my tour guide at the main office of PETE which was on the 3rd floor do a sketchy neighborhood. Going up the stairs it did cross my mind that something bad could happen, so happy it didn't.
We started the tour by taking a bike rickshaw to the metro station station and then we pushed ourselves inside a crowded metro.
Once at chadni Chowk metro station we got out and made our way to old Delhi! The pedestrian traffic was horrible! Apparently there is only one little alley in and out to old Delhi from the metro so we pushed our way out of the alley.
First foodie stop:
NATRAJ

We started with a dish made of lentil cakes covered with yogurt and, I believe, chutney. I didn't catch the name but it was really yummy!!! You had to break a piece of the cake and then mix it with the sauce. It had a sweet taste to it that was really delicious! 

Our 2nd dish were fried potato patties with chutney! Really delish!

2nd stop:
PARAWTHE WALA

We stopped to have a "main meal" at Parawthe Wala. The one thing they sell is Paratha, which I would say is their version of a pupusa or a quesadilla. A paratha is a tortilla that is barely filled with things such as potatoes, chick pea, paneer, mint, peas etc. It comes with different dipping sauces so you break in the paratha and grab a couple of sauces and eat it.
It was really tasty but it also felt as if it had not much nutritional value to it!

Here's a guy making the paratha




3rd stop:
SWEET STOP (not the actual name)
Here we quickly stopped to get a sweet fix! We ordered some lady finger like sweet that tasted like gulab jamun.
In this shop they also sold those mix snacks made of dry rice, lentils and other stuff with spices!
Yum



4th stop:
JALEBI WALA

Stopped at another corner stand where we got some samosas and jalebi.


Finally the tour was over and I was glad! The boy tour guide I had was annoying the crap out of me. Overall it was a good tour but not as good as I was expecting. I was hoping for more traditional food, looking at spices, getting a taste of various little things, an explanation about what we were eating, and more of a cultural experience. I felt like it was more focus on just eating whatever because it was a foodie tour and the guy (a 20 year old) talked about himself for the whole tour and it felt like he wanted to impress me! Also... I don't like selfies! And he demanded one in every single joint! 
On the bright side I got to experience Chandni Chowk market and old Delhi which was excellent!
So much fun walking through crazy amount of people, looking at the stores, admiring the sarees, and soaking in the Delhi experience!






By the end I was just glad it was over and then he got even more annoying when he told me I should have a metro card so he wouldn't have to wait for me to get a token (which took like 5 mins in line) I told him I knew my way in the metro and he could leave but he didn't because he would get in trouble. Towards the end he demanded that I write a review on trip advisor TODAY! And I said that I would whenever I had time and he said "No, you need to do it today. How are you gonna rate me?"  So annoying, I changed the subject!

I got back to the hotel, rested and then headed out to the Main Bazar street to explore the market where once again I got followed by many men trying to sell me something, get me into their restaurant, give me a tuk tuk ride or simply have a conversation with me.
The market was chaotic but a nice experience of the Indian lifestyle!





No comments:

Post a Comment