Sunday, December 28, 2014

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR


For today I booked a Delhi sightseeing tour that takes us to some of the main landmarks of Delhi. I booked the tour from delhitourism.com and even though we saw a lot I felt as if I missed out on knowing more details about these places. To be fair I paid 361 rupees for the tour, equivalent to $6, so my expectations should have been lower. The tour was extremely speedy! We literally had like 15-20 mins on each place just to take pictures. That didn't give us enough time to read through information panels or really enjoy the place.
Even at the beginning of the tour the girl told us she wasn't going to wait for anybody so if we weren't on time we had to figure out how to get to the next place on our own!

The first stop was at Laxmi Narayan

Then we stopped at the ruins of Qutub Minar which are one of Delhi's most spectacular sights. Here we were where given only 35 mins from the moment the bus stopped to explore. The grounds were beautiful but I wished I knew more about  what I was looking at. 










Our next stop was the Bahai Lotus which is a temple open to every single person from any religion to come an pray (for 5 mins since they kick people us every 5mins!) I really liked the idea behind this temple which is that no matter who you worship these doors are open for you.
The temple itself is beautiful, it has the shape of a lotus and it's completely made of marble.



Ghandi Smirty, where Ghandi spent his last 144 days, was next.  We started the tour by walking next to the path where Ghandi walked his last steps before he was killed.

The place was full of information and I wished we had the time to read and know more about his life. 
Right before the entrance there was a world peace gong with all the flags in it... Wouldn't it be nice if we had world peace?!?

Once inside the house we saw his room; he lived such a modest and simple life:
They had on a display the few things that he left behind:


After lunch we visited the Red Fort and it was beautiful! 
I really wished I had done it on my own so I could spend more time really soaking everything in.







Then we stopped at Rajghat, the place where Ghandi was cremated.



We ended the tour at Humayum's tomb which was the inspiration for the Taj Mahal.





Once we were down we were dropped off at Connaught Place where I walked around for hours and even had some Bhel Puri on the street! Yummm 



No comments:

Post a Comment